Thursday, October 4, 2012

...here I go again!

Well...here I go again!  A few years ago I had fun doing a blog, but just didn't keep up with it. So, after some coaxing from my oldest daughter I am starting again.  I have a bad habit of putting (... ) a lot.  You will get used to it.  :-) I am hoping I can figure out how to post pictures, too. 

I LOVE to bake and since it is now fall this may have a lot of foodie stuff on it!  I am trying to eat healthier so I was really excited to find this zucchini bread recipe from the mayo-clinic.  It turned out really good and the whole family likes it...which is not always an easy feat.  :-)

Beating the eggs until foamy...took a few minutes.


 Shredding the zucchini is a snap with a food processor.   A cheese grater will work.


 My favorite flour!


 Looks kindof gross, but it's good trust me.


 I HAD to add a little sweet for the top.


 Finished product.


Yummy!!! Perfect with a cup of coffee...  :-)

ZUCCHINI BREAD

6 egg whites (I bought them in the carton ready to go)
1/4 cup canola oil
1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/4 cups whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 teaspoons cinnamon
2 cups shredded zucchini
1/2 cup walnuts (I left these out...family doesn't like nuts in things)
1 1/2 cups crushed unsweetened pineapple
1/2 cup raisins (left these out, too)

Made a simple topping...

1/4 cup of each...whole wheat flour, oats, brown sugar (not packed) & coconut. Melted 2 teaspoons butter...mix until crumbly and sprinkle on the top.

Oven 350...lightly coat two loaf pans with cooking spray.

In large bowl, add egg whites, oil, applesauce, sugar and vanilla. Beat until thick and foamy.

Add the flours, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon. Beat until well blended. Stir in shredded zucchini, pineapple, walnuts and raisins.  Batter will be very thick.

Divide between your prepared pans (I used small loaf pans so I could share with hubby's co-workers). Bake about 50 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. Mine took about 40 minutes because of the smaller pans.  Let cool about 10 minutes then turn out to a cooling rack.  Enjoy!!!

The best part...

1 slice (large loaf pans is 9 slices!)
Calories: 173;  Total fat: 5;  Cholesterol 0;  Sodium: 104;  Total carbs: 25;  Fiber: 2;  Protein: 4

The topping will add a bit and sorry to say I don't know how to calculate this!  It can't be too much.

Hope you enjoy and someday I will figure out how to make a recipe printable.
Print Friendly and PDF

3 comments:

  1. Cindy, welcome back to blogging! Thanks for mentioning it on facebook. I'll be looking forward to reading more...(see...I'm getting used to it already...!)

    ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacqi! Have a great weekend and I will get this on Google, too. :-)

      Delete
  2. Looks great! I would be leaving out the pineapple and the raisins. I'm not a fan of cooked fruit. Thanks for sharing! Stacie xo

    ReplyDelete